Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The wacky mind

You have stumbled on the kick off of Mindpopsicles! I will write about my life, work, design and whatever inspirations come to mind. May these ponderings be of enjoyment to you. (I enjoy writing them anyway.)

What do I do very week? As an interior creative I come across all sorts of homes and people. This fascinates me as I try to work out what makes them tick and why they have these interesting things on their walls or lack thereof. I work in a furniture/design store that sells custom made furniture and we kit out houses from top to bottom.

My own home, which I share with my husband Nico, is a 60s farm house that has not had any of my input stamped all over it, except for the positioning of the furniture. I got all excited last week because I finally am getting some decent furniture. They are 6 dining chairs that Grant Bulling, my employer, has designed. The seats are covered with a Romo fabric which is as fancy-pancy as you can get. My dear husband will definitely be intrigued by the choice of cover as it’s zingy and probably not his first choice. Nico is a wonderful practical and hardworking man who has a preference for more traditional pieces. I get great kicks myself out of modern wacky things that fascinate. Not the mundane for me as I get bored with it. (Good thing Nico is a steady bloke but still manages to surprise me.) My clients usually like to find ‘safe’ pieces and ones that will still be relatively en vogue in 10 or 20 years time. Understandable, but for me, the more outrageous the happier I get. I can coo over wicked wallpaper or get all in gear once I start pondering about these bed heads I can paint and use mixed media materials to cover them. Like a 'trompe d'oeil' to induce sleep. Or other things.

Too many ideas too little time…