Tuesday, March 23, 2010

the lofty design process



I was reading a blog post (here) on how much time it can take to design a fabric. The lady in question said it could take up to 6 months. And it's not as easy as it seems. How interesting!


Now I remember when dad tried to teach me how to ride a push bike when I was a grasshopper. I fell over. I might have scraped my knees. I'm sure I must have bawled my wee eyes out and screamed I would never get back on the thing. I would be afraid of the big bike. I would yell dad had to not let go. This I remember clearly (poor dad). Then there's the memories of me naturally cycling at top speed on bikes of any size and chasing friends around. Lots of shouting, yelling and laughing going on. Still the occasional scraped knee but nothing to worry about.


My fabric designing days started organically. I designed my cows and couches in wait for it... a weekend. Not months. Now either I'm the next Van Gogh (I don't think so, too fond of my ears etc) or a more likely explanation: all that preceded to the point of Hemptech taking me on as a designer was the fact I attended Artschool in the Netherlands, I had my own studio for a few years, I emigrated to New Zealand, and kept designing for family and other relations while working as an interior stylist and later, interior decorator/designer. 


The fact is that people who are good in what they do (I'm not saying I am, I have my humble moments of perplexity that others like my stuff), lies more in the experience, and honing of one's skills, the repetition of the exercise,  which allows magic to happen, more so then forcing it out of us (or stomping our feet when it doesn't happen).


Athletes will tell you they didn't get that medal at the end or got to the Olympics after 6 months of training. We're talking years of dedication people. Don't expect you'll hit the jackpot in 6 months (although you very well might financially if you buy a ticket and good on you too.)


So as boring as it may sound: if you know how to paddle that bike-kanoe, ride that horse or swim that ocean, you are likely to have done it quite some time before you reach the other side. Process is continuous growth. Truth is, you're never "there". Society nowadays seem to crave instant success, instant meals, instant love making and instant customer service. Instant, now and immediate seems to be a lot to expect. Which means there also will be a lot of disappointments. It depends on the skills and the honing of said skills what the time frame will be of any result.


Practice makes perfect. There's no way around that.

No comments:

Post a Comment