Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Learning through Experience


Have you read the Secret and thought: presto, I’ll read the book, try and change the way I think and next I’ll:
  • Be changed and all dandy: it's all attitude right?

  • Win lotto!

  • Find the perfect man/woman (you know they don’t exist right….. oh you still hope …ok )

  • Retire and buy an exotic island and drink martinis

  • Make millions with your own company

  • Have the perfect figure and wear a bikini again

  • Have a massive walk in wardrobe and lots of shoes. Finally.

  • Learn many languages and travel and travel

  • Live blissfully ever after.

But…. If you DO want to learn, how about listening to what the people around you think? (if they have the guts to tell you. They might and also say things which can surprise you.)

So here’s a fun exercise to learn how others view you: feedback
Select 3-5 people and ask them to send you a written reply and give them a promise you will not pummel them no matter what the outcome will be.

Questions to ask others who know you quite well:
1) If you look at my life up till now, what can I:
Be proud of? (Qualities, attributes, accomplishments)
Be happy or pleased about?
And why do you think that?

2) If you think about my future
What do you think would be good for me to experience in regards to:
Personal development,
Challenges to overcome and
Give time and attention to?
Why did you think that would be good for me?

3) Why do you think it could be hard for me to realize all the above?

So: do you really want to know what people think about you or rather not? Do you look in the mirror from time to time or does it freak you out? Do you want to know? Or happily not to? I think I'll try this exercise just for the sheer fun of it. There's always stuff to learn, whether it's about me or others as well. I don't know but I reckon it could be hilarious.

With many thanks to the Dutch magazine Flow and the website

www.debaak.nl If you need a coach (in Holland that is) go check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment